7200emu.hacki.at Forum Index 7200emu.hacki.at
Dynamips, Dynagen and all that stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
7200emu.hacki.at Forum Index

hackibr>

unable to start Dynamips

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rehman9986

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: unable to start Dynamips Reply with quote

Hey guyz, I followed the instructions at http://sudonetworks.com/wiki/index.php?title=Dynamips#Installation_Steps and installed Dynagen on my eeePC, but the problem is that when I enter

./dynamips -H 7200

I get,

bash: ./dynamips: Permission denied

I would really appreciate it if you guyz could help me out with it, so that I can prepare for my CCNP exams

Thanks,

Rehman
greg
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your eee? That's interesting.

Sounds like maybe the dynamips binary isn't marked executable. do a "chmod a+x dynamips".
rehman9986

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou soo much greg, That worked....and Dynagen is happily working on my machine now

Also could you please point me to a place where I could learn about installing software,s on Linux (like tar.gz and bin, its really confusing) I am used to using windows where the softwares just get installed at a mouse click, but I would love to transition to linux....
grego

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure there's a website for it - but for tar.gz the miracle command to start with is:

tar -zxf <filename>

That will gunzip the file (decompress) and un-tar it - leaving you with the actual files. Usually (if the programmer is polite) there will be a README file in there explaining how to install things.

Kind of depends on the program though - some have their own installers, some require the user to install them somewhere themselves.

crissa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grego wrote:
[...]

Kind of depends on the program though - some have their own installers, some require the user to install them somewhere themselves.

Hello,
most, if not all, Linux distributions support packages. As far as I know the EEE uses a (modified) Xendros (sp?) distrubition. So maybe it is a good idea to learn which package system the EEE uses and how to install/update software with this system.

HTH!
Bye, Tore

grego

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True on the packages (.deb, .rpm, etc) but most smaller apps are just tar.gz files and not packaged which is what he was asking I believe.

For your flavor of linux you should absolutely be familiar with the packaging system (RPM, APT, YAST, etc) to be able to keep your system up to date.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    7200emu.hacki.at Forum Index -> Beginners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: