7200emu.hacki.at Forum Index 7200emu.hacki.at
Dynamips, Dynagen and all that stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
7200emu.hacki.at Forum Index

hackibr>

GNS3 0.5 beta Failed to start Dynamips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    7200emu.hacki.at Forum Index -> dynamips on mac
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caleban

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: GNS3 0.5 beta Failed to start Dynamips Reply with quote

Mac OS 10.5.5
MacBook 2.4 GHz, 4 GB, 250 GB

GNS3 0.5 beta

I'd already installed dynamips using macports so I already had dynamips version 0.2.8-RC2-x86 in /opt/local/bin

I installed GNS3 from the .dmg
In the Preferences > Dynamips > Test it always says "Failed to start Dynamips"
If I start dynamips externally I can use GNS3 but I'd like to learn why I can't use dynamips within GNS3
In the Preferences > Dynamips > Executable path: I tried changing the path to /opt/local/bin/dynamips but I had the same issue

Whenever I start dynamips outside GNS3 in the shell I have to run dynamips as the superuser i.e. cd /tmp; sudo /Applications/Dynagen/dynamips -H 7200

1. Does GNS3 need to start dynamips as the superuser?
2. How does GNS3 start dynamips as the superuser?
3. Am I missing a step which will allow GNS3 to start dynamips?

Thanks in advance!

Picture 1.png
 Description:
GNS3 0.5 beta Failed to start Dynamips
 Filesize:  140.69 KB
 Viewed:  10981 Time(s)

Picture 1.png

chelliot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: GNS3 0.5 beta Failed to start Dynamips Reply with quote

Caleban,

I just went through this with a co-worker. What worked was to add a .bin extension to the dynamips executable.

If you browse to the executable from the gns3 preferences, you'll see that, without the .bin extension, the executable is greyed out. Once the extension is added it's available for selection.

Chris.
caleban

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! It worked!

Picture 1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  157.13 KB
 Viewed:  10891 Time(s)

Picture 1.png

ferak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: GNS3 0.5 beta Failed to start Dynamips Reply with quote

chelliot wrote:
Caleban,

I just went through this with a co-worker. What worked was to add a .bin extension to the dynamips executable.

If you browse to the executable from the gns3 preferences, you'll see that, without the .bin extension, the executable is greyed out. Once the extension is added it's available for selection.

Chris.

This worked at my FreeBSD 8.0 system, GNS3 0.6.1 and Dynamips 0.2.8-RC2-x86 as well, thank you. This is what i did:
Code:

# which dynamips
/usr/local/bin/dynamips
# cd /usr/local/bin
# ln -s dynamips dynamips.bin
beef

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try setting the working directory for dynamips within GNS3 to something that isnt /tmp but that you can actually write to.

For example, make a tmp directory under your home directory and use that.

This is what got me past the "Failed to start dynamips" problem on MAC OSX ( Snow Leopard )

I dont know why this was necessary ( since even my normal user account can write files in /tmp ) but it got me working.

Picture 11.png
 Description:
My dynamips didnt start unless I changed the workign directory to one I could write to.
 Filesize:  52.27 KB
 Viewed:  7925 Time(s)

Picture 11.png

blue7floyd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same issue is running in my system too. I was thinking it is a common way of running the dynampics. Whenever I start dynamips outside GNS3 in the shell I have to run dynamips as the super user every time. It is really frustrating.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    7200emu.hacki.at Forum Index -> dynamips on mac All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: