7200emu.hacki.at Forum Index 7200emu.hacki.at
Dynamips, Dynagen and all that stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
7200emu.hacki.at Forum Index

hackibr>

CCIE Security #22321 on 13-Oct-2008

Post new topic   Reply to topic    7200emu.hacki.at Forum Index -> CCIE thanks to dynamips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: CCIE Security #22321 on 13-Oct-2008 Reply with quote

Thanks to dynamips for allowing me to get this!!!!

Virtualized (perfectly) on a 4 GB RAM dual core machine:
6 PIX/ASA
6 Routers
7 eth switches
ACS (virtualbox)
Test Machine (virtualbox)

Just used a real IPS, a VPN3k and two switches for .1x/L2 security

90% of the lab preparation done thanks to this wonderful tool!

Thanks!

Francesco, CCIE #22321
ccie14745

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grats, Francesco! Now make sure you run out and reserve ccie22321 at yahoo, gmail, and every other site you can. Wink

--
Justin White
CCIE #14745
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hacki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congratulations!

h.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Timw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, any words of advice for those of us just starting the journey? Study Material, forums, etc that helped.

Thanks
fm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Timw,

to prepare I did all the tech labs from the Internetwork Expert 3.0. That is mandatory to build up speed and get familiar with the technology you don't use everyday at work.
After this, I did the tech labs from the IPExpert 4.0 as a review of the previous lab.
Later I had a separate look to all the topic that are not well covered on the books: L2 security (acl, mac acl, access-map, dot1x, BPDU filtering), ACS (command aaa on ASA, NAP, NAR, NAC, RAC, external VPN group on ASA and VPN3k...) and some big routing lab with complex redistribution/filtering trying to break the protocols as much as possible (you should have some ideas on how to troubleshoot them, especially OSPF, if your dynamic routing is not working, you cannot do 90% of the exam).
At the end I did some of the big lab simulation from the IPExpert 4.0 that as quite close to the real exam and in some aspects more difficult.
Stick to the IOS version of the lab, don't use the latest maintenance release for that train, you need to know which bug you will encounter (for example parser error on the aaa named list configuration that disappear when you reload, OSPF md5 authentication between router and VPN3k...).
The key point of the lab preparation in my opinion is to have tested *every* feature (and in various combination), to know what a certain feature does, which other features you need to enable to make it work and what will break when you enable them. You need to read a question and immediately know which feature to use and what will not work after.
Also reading all the command line configuration guide for the ASA, IOS and the switches is important, you will discover a lot of things (restriction and corner cases).
Master ACS.

It is a huge amount of work, it took me 300+ hours of work, but it is worth it.

Cheers,
Francesco.

Edit: if something can be configured in multiple ways (example unicast rpf check on IOS, NAT bypass on ASA.....), you need to know them all.
conspathas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done on the digits mate!
a5a5a9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco , would you mind sharing your docs to setup a home lab?

thanks
Martin
memoonamike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is nice to see you setting up the home lab.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7200emu.hacki.at Forum Index -> CCIE thanks to dynamips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: