7200emu.hacki.at Forum Index 7200emu.hacki.at
Dynamips, Dynagen and all that stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
7200emu.hacki.at Forum Index

hackibr>

HOWTO windows : dynamips + dynagen on USB drive

View previous topic :: View next topic  
danshtr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: HOWTO windows : dynamips + dynagen on USB drive Reply with quote

Hi all,

Few people asked about running dynamips/dynagen from USB without installation. The problem was winpcap. I found a tool from wireshark website that allows you to run wireshark/windump from USB without installing!
I check how it works. The only thing needed are two dll files: packet.dll and wpcap.dll.

I think I got a working solution:

1. Install dynagen on a pc
2. Copy \Program Files\Dynamips to the USB.
3. Copy the dll from the attached files to the dynamips directory on the USB.
4. Enjoy...

I tested it with the new capturing feature and it worked

Few notes:
1. Remember that the .net files are not a associated with dynagen.exe, so you will have to run it from the command line
2. Put the workingdir configuration in yours .net file
2. I copied putty.exe to the usb and pointed dynagen.ini to putty.
3. Use relative directories when referring to files inside the .net files (image, working dir, conf....)
4. What good will capture do if you can't watch the capture? Search for windump.exe. It is just like tcpdump.

Hope it will work for you too...

[/b]
wayn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Danshtr for this howto. I followed your direction and got dynamips/dynagen working on my usb stick. It took me a little while to figure out the relative path for the image, but it is fine now. I also created a startup script for dynagen with the .net, so all I need to do to start the programs is to first click on the dynamips startup script and then the dynagen startup script.

I tried it out on an old pc without dynamips/dynagen installation and it worked fine.

Regarding windump, how do you specify which interface to listen on?

Regards.
danshtr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windump manual:
http://www.winpcap.org/windump/docs/manual.htm

in the context of this howto, windump is used to read the pcap files dynamips created.

<pre>
windump -n -r <pcap file location>
</pre>
If you would like to use windump for other stuff, then
<pre>
windump -D
</pre>
dbdbdb

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the valuable information.

Question: Is this {Running from USB} an option to increase performance or is it a matter of convenience.

Thanks
danshtr

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might even slow you down a bit....

Because write IO to the USB is slower then to the HD.

If you have lots of memory, use mmap=false
stteng

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Help Reply with quote

I am a newbie to Dynamips/Dynagen so if it is NOT too much trouble, could you please give detailed instructions on how to install Dynamips/Dynagen onto a USB flash drive?

Also what size memory does the USB flash drive need to be? How do you need to run it? I am still trying to get my Dynamips/Dynagen working on my PC so I am NOT sure what a GOOD installation is.

Thanks in advance
stteng
stteng

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Reply with quote

How do you use the command line to run this USB flash drive?

Please forgive my ignorance!

Thanks
stteng
timhalo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Help Reply with quote

stteng wrote:
I am a newbie to Dynamips/Dynagen so if it is NOT too much trouble, could you please give detailed instructions on how to install Dynamips/Dynagen onto a USB flash drive?

Also what size memory does the USB flash drive need to be? How do you need to run it? I am still trying to get my Dynamips/Dynagen working on my PC so I am NOT sure what a GOOD installation is.

Thanks in advance
stteng

Here's how I got it working:

1) Installed dyngen (Windows Installer Package) from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=160317 on my PC.

2) From the PC, copied \Dynamips\ (which is inside 'Program Files') to the root of flash drive.

2) Got windump.exe from http://www.winpcap.org/windump/docs/manual.htm & put it in \Dynamips\ on the flash drive

3) Placed the two files: packet.dll & wpcap.dll on danshtr's post into the \Dynamips\ directory on the flash drive

4) Placed putty.exe in the \Dynamips\ directory on the flash drive. (You can find putty anywhere.)

5) Inside dynagen.ini, uncommented the line referencing putty. And pointed to the correct location. Ex: "telnet = start F:\Dynamips\putty.exe -telnet %h %p". Without quotes. (I got an error message when trying to launch dynagen but corrected it by commenting this line in dynagen.ini: "telnet = start telnet %h %p".

6) Inside a ".Net" file, edited the line referencing the location of the IOS image. It's relative. Ex: /Dynamips/images/name-of-ios-image.bin

7) From a command line (I use WinXP).. go to the \Dynamips\ directory & type "dynamips-start.cmd". Again, without quotes.

8.) Open another command line. Go to the \Dynamips\ on the flash drive. Run dynagen.exe & reference your .Net file. Ex: F:\Dynamips>dynagen f:\dynamips\labs\example-lab.net

It took mine a while to load up. But then it will put you into a terminal-server.

9) Type 'list'. To see the routers. type 'console <routername> to get into the router. Then, for me, putty opened up & all good.

FYI, I already had a working .Net file from using GNS3. There are sample .Net installed with Dynagen. Also you may find this page helpful: http://dynagen.org/tutorial.htm.

HTH,
timhalo

p.s. I have a 256 meg flash drive & now have only 9 megs left.
conspathas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work.

I haven't had a need for dynamips on a (usb) stick until recently. I have a few friends who are keen to see dynamips in action so having it on my keyring is great.

Cheers!
thyag

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Hi I am a newbie to this site Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie to this site. Was trying to make dynamips work from my external usb harddisk, but however i am not able to find the packet.dll and wpcap.dll files. I suppose I need some permissions to access the same. Can someone help me on this ??

Also let pl let me know if i can run GNS3, dynamips and dynagen from my External USB Harddisk ??

TIA
-Thyag
timhalo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those two files are attached to danshtr's post.

I know you can run dynamips/dynagen on an external usb. Don't know about GNS3. Don't see why not. You should try it out, then let the forum know if it works.
thyag

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Its possible to install GNS3 on a USB drive Reply with quote

Hi All,

It is possible to install GNS3 on a USB drive(Follow attached link). I have tried the same and its working all fine.

http://wiki.gns3.net/index.php/GNS3_on_an_USB_key

-Thyag
rooter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Many Thanks Reply with quote

Dear timhalo, danshtr
Many Many thanks for your output. I have been trying to create a stand alone lab for my colleagues as a training guide for several weeks. I just could not get the .net file to run teh PC kept saying that there was no program associated.
I now have a working lab I can use to assist with training them on our network.

Again many thanks to both of you for this it has been invaluable.
alienchipmunk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

i've followed the steps above but when i finally run "console R1" i get the following error from the console:

######################################################################################################################## [OK]

Smart Init is enabled
smart init is sizing iomem
ID MEMORY_REQ TYPE
000000 UNKNOWN port adapter
000000 UNKNOWN port adapter
0X003AA110 public buffer pools
0X00211000 public particle pools
TOTAL: 0X005BB110

If any of the above Memory Requirements are
"UNKNOWN", you may be using an unsupported
configuration or there is a software problem and
system operation may be compromised.
Rounded IOMEM up to: 6Mb.
Using 2 percent iomem. [6Mb/256Mb]

can somebody please tell me what this means and how i can go about fixing it?

i've already tried this on a different USB sticks..

thanks!
hemione

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a newbie to Dynamips/Dynagen so get too much trouble, I tried it out on an old pc without dynamips/dynagen installation and it worked fine, thanks everybody because sharing value information

Post new topic   Reply to topic    7200emu.hacki.at Forum Index -> HOWTOs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: